Friday, 24-November-2017 21:16
 
no comments in "Yemen in news"
Yemen in news
Monday, 20-November-2006
Gulf News- - An alleged Al Qaida number two in Yemen may be freed in December, despite his original jail term being confirmed yesterday by a Yemen court of appeal.

Chaired by Judge Saeed Al Qata'a, the appeal section of the State Security Court upheld the 37-month sentence, which was issued on May 3 against Mohammad Hamdi Al Ahdal. He was accused of raising funds for Al Qaida in Yemen.

Al Ahdal now has about two months in prison. The verdict stipulated three years and one month in jail from the date of the arrest.

Al Ahdal was arrested in November 2003 in Sanaa.

For Ghaleb Al Zaydi, who was accused of sheltering Al Ahdal in his house in Marib, eastern Yemen, the court said the period he spent in prison was enough punishment. When the trial started earlier this year, the prosecutor accused Al Ahdal, also known as Abu Asem Al Makki, of forming an armed gang, financing Al Qaida militants and being involved in the deaths of 18 Yemeni soldiers.

While denying the other charges, the 35-year-old Al Ahdal confessed to raising money for Al Qaida. The other charges, he said, he was forced to confess while in solitary confinement for seven months.

He confessed to raising money for families of what he called "mujahideen" or jihadis. "I collected 1.06 million Saudi riyals (about Dh1.04 million) from Saudi businessmen during four years, and I have given all of it to women and children of those martyrs who were killed in the 1994 civil war of Yemen, the wars in Afghanistan, Chechnya and Herzegovina, and also to families of Yemenis detained in Guantanamo and political prisoners in Yemen," he had said.

The prosecutor had told the court Al Ahdal had received around $50,000 (about Dh183,700) from Osama Bin Laden to buy arms and explosives.

More from "Yemen in news"

Other titles:
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
The United Arab Emirates acknowledged on Tuesday that two of its pilots were killed when their military aggression plane crashed over Jawf province, a military official said

The official added that the aggressive crashed plane was an apache that was
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Three citizens were killed and four others wounded in two Saudi air strikes hit Majza district of Saada province, an official said on Tuesday.

The strikes hit a citizen's car in al-Jamalah area in the district, the official added.
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Artillery of the army and popular shelled a gathering of Saudi-paid mercenaries in al-Moqadra area in Serwah district of Marib province, a military official said on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, dozens of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed and others injured in Wadi al-Theek in the district, the official added.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out on Monday unique military operations in Taiz province.

A military official said that a number of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed at the hands of the army and popular forces in al-Jazami Hill in al-Kadaha area in al-Ma'afer district.
Monday, 16-October-2017
A Saudi aggression fighter jet targeted a citizen's car driving in Fara area of Kutaf district in Saada province overnight, killing the driver and injuring his friend, a security official said on Monday.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army artillery and popular committees launched a fierce attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in Jawf province, a military official said on Monday.

The attack destroyed a military vehicle belonging to the mercenaries and killed all on board in Sabran area in khab and shaaf district.
Sunday, 15-October-2017
Scores of Saudi enemy soldiers were killed and injured on Sunday when the army and popular forces repelled a Saudi military attempt to sneak into Shurfah site in the border province of Najran, a military official said.

The operation was accomplished successfully against the Saudi
Sunday, 15-October-2017
The army and popular committees have killed a total of 18 Saudi-paid mercenaries in sniper operations over the past hours in the central province of Marib, a military official said on Sunday.

Ten mercenaries were killed in Nehm district and eight others were killed in Serwah district, said the official.
Saturday, 14-October-2017
Saudi aggression warplanes have launched more than 49 airstrikes over the past hours on several residential areas across Yemen, a security official said on Sunday.
The airstrikes targeted the areas of Malahiz and Husama in Dhahir district, and areas Thuban, Masahif and Sdad in Bakim district of northern Saada province.
Thursday, 12-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out an operation attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in al-Hawal area in Nehm district.

A local official said that the operation attack resulted in killing and injuring mercenaries, adding they also incurred heavy losses at their ranks

who we are     |    Advertising     |    contact us
All rights reserved © Almotamar Net, Developed by