Monday, 21-October-2019 12:18
 
no comments in "International"
International
Wednesday, 22-November-2006
Google International Herald Tribune - MANILA, Philippines: A barge carrying 630 tons of debris from the worst oil spill in the Philippines sank in rough seas, officials said Tuesday.
Philippine Maritime Industry Authority enforcement chief Arnie Santiago sought to allay fears of a new environmental crisis after the barge, which was being towed by a tugboat, sank in huge waves late Monday off the town of Plaridel, 450 miles (720 kilometers) southeast of Manila.
The Ras was carrying 630 tons of sand with bunker oil that had been cleaned up from Guimaras island, in the central Philippines, where the tanker Solar I sank on Aug. 11 and spilled some of its 500,000 gallons (2 million liters) of fuel.
The spill displaced 39,000 people and damaged 140 miles (220 kilometers) of coastline, including pristine marine reserves.
Santiago said there were no reports of casualties in the latest incident, and that effects on the environment were expected to be minimal.
The sand and bunker oil, which were contained in sacks, "would sink to the bottom of the sea and will likely leave only traces of oil, like thin filaments that would also evaporate," he said.
Petron Corp., the country's largest oil refiner, said the shipment had been en route to a cement plant in the southern Philippines for treatment and disposal. Petron owned the fuel that was spilled in August and had contracted Harbor Star, the operator of the Ras.
In a statement, Petron said the debris contains only "traces of oil."
"It has been weathering for three months and is unlikely to pose a danger to communities, shorelines or marine life," the statement said.
Petron Vice President Joey Campos said the Ras had been carrying the last portion of the 6,000 tons of debris collected from Guimaras.
"We are quite confident that there will be no damage," he told ABS-CBN television, and assured that all precautions were being taken and equipment mobilized to respond to the latest incident.
But the environmental group Greenpeace said Petron must be held accountable.
"Petron has yet to fully answer for its disastrous oil spill in Guimaras, but here it is again with another environmental disaster in the making," Greenpeace campaigner Beau Baconguis said in a statement. "This is truly deplorable, and betrays once again Petron's serious lack of diligence in ensuring that the company's operations are safe and secure."

More from "International"

Other titles:
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
The United Arab Emirates acknowledged on Tuesday that two of its pilots were killed when their military aggression plane crashed over Jawf province, a military official said

The official added that the aggressive crashed plane was an apache that was
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Three citizens were killed and four others wounded in two Saudi air strikes hit Majza district of Saada province, an official said on Tuesday.

The strikes hit a citizen's car in al-Jamalah area in the district, the official added.
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Artillery of the army and popular shelled a gathering of Saudi-paid mercenaries in al-Moqadra area in Serwah district of Marib province, a military official said on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, dozens of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed and others injured in Wadi al-Theek in the district, the official added.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out on Monday unique military operations in Taiz province.

A military official said that a number of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed at the hands of the army and popular forces in al-Jazami Hill in al-Kadaha area in al-Ma'afer district.
Monday, 16-October-2017
A Saudi aggression fighter jet targeted a citizen's car driving in Fara area of Kutaf district in Saada province overnight, killing the driver and injuring his friend, a security official said on Monday.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army artillery and popular committees launched a fierce attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in Jawf province, a military official said on Monday.

The attack destroyed a military vehicle belonging to the mercenaries and killed all on board in Sabran area in khab and shaaf district.
Sunday, 15-October-2017
Scores of Saudi enemy soldiers were killed and injured on Sunday when the army and popular forces repelled a Saudi military attempt to sneak into Shurfah site in the border province of Najran, a military official said.

The operation was accomplished successfully against the Saudi
Sunday, 15-October-2017
The army and popular committees have killed a total of 18 Saudi-paid mercenaries in sniper operations over the past hours in the central province of Marib, a military official said on Sunday.

Ten mercenaries were killed in Nehm district and eight others were killed in Serwah district, said the official.
Saturday, 14-October-2017
Saudi aggression warplanes have launched more than 49 airstrikes over the past hours on several residential areas across Yemen, a security official said on Sunday.
The airstrikes targeted the areas of Malahiz and Husama in Dhahir district, and areas Thuban, Masahif and Sdad in Bakim district of northern Saada province.
Thursday, 12-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out an operation attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in al-Hawal area in Nehm district.

A local official said that the operation attack resulted in killing and injuring mercenaries, adding they also incurred heavy losses at their ranks

who we are     |    Advertising     |    contact us
All rights reserved © Almotamar Net, Developed by