Tuesday, 23-July-2019 08:44
 
no comments in "International"
International
Monday, 04-December-2006
By Jason Gutierrez in Legaspi - THE Red Cross sent out an urgent plea for water, food and medicine today as Philippine officials said more than 1000 people were dead or missing after mudslides swallowed up whole villages.
The Government's National Disaster Coordinating Centre confirmed 425 dead from the mudslides around Mayon volcano trigged by super typhoon Durian rains. It listed a further 599 people as missing in the same eastern region of Bicol.

Executive officer Glenn Rabonza said more than one million people had been affected by the disaster with damage to property alone estimated at about 274 million pesos ($A7 million).

The Red Cross revised its figure on the number dead from 406 to 333 today, saying it had counted some bodies twice, but warned it expected the toll to rise.

The deadly mudslides were triggered by torrential rains from Durian which mixed with volcanic ash on the slopes of Mayon volcano.

President Gloria Arroyo has declared a "state of national calamity'' and authorised the immediate release of a billion pesos ($A25.37 million) to rehabilitate affected areas.

"The situation is still pretty chaotic with communications still down in most of the affected areas on Bicol,'' a Red Cross spokesman said.

"Four provinces, including Albay, were badly hit by the typhoon. Our main concern now is fresh water, food and medicines to treat the injured making their way to evacuation centres.''

In the village of Maipon men returned to dig out valuables from their homes.

Like so many towns and villages around Mayon, it was reduced to rubble by the torrent of mud estimated to be four metres thick that crashed into the town carrying with it boulders as big as cars.

This morning, there were no rescue teams or heavy earth moving equipment and a stream had formed where the main road used to be.

All that was left was the welcome arch over the main street.

"There is nothing left here, there are no neighbours left,'' said Josefina Olander, 66, who saved some 50 people after she told them to clamber up the roof of her two-storey concrete home.

"Those lucky to be alive are either injured or grieving.''

All 10 members of her family are alive, but the bottom half of the house is underground.

"Mayon gave us fertile land to till. It took it back in an instant,'' she said.

Canine search team leader Marvy Umali, who conducted a sweep of one section of Maipon two days ago, said 16 bodies had been recovered.

"No more have been found. The ground is hard, thick sand, mud and debris,'' he said.

"The dogs had a hard time because the site is contaminated. There are dead animals as well as humans.''

Senator Richard Gordon, the National Red Cross president, said yesterday he expected the death toll could pass 1000 as hopes faded of finding further survivors.

"It is important we recover as much as we can ... but at some point we have to declare closure and declare a mass grave over the area,'' he said in radio interviews.

Many villages have not yet reported how many residents are dead.

In some cases, whole families have been buried.

"All resources of the Government will continue to be mobilised without let-up as we pin hope against hope on the search of survivors,'' Mr Arroyo said yesterday.

But on the ground today there was little evidence that those resources had arrived.

In various parts of the Bicol region, southeast of Manila, communities have resorted to mass burials to deal with the scores of unclaimed bodies that were starting to decompose.

Power, communications and water remained out of service across most of the region, further hampering relief efforts, as more tales of tragedy and loss came in.

The disaster comes after some 30,000 people were evacuated from the slopes of Mayon earlier this year amid signs that the volcano was erupting.

However, the residents were allowed to return home in September after Mayon simmered down.

Source: The Australian
More from "International"

Other titles:
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
The United Arab Emirates acknowledged on Tuesday that two of its pilots were killed when their military aggression plane crashed over Jawf province, a military official said

The official added that the aggressive crashed plane was an apache that was
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Three citizens were killed and four others wounded in two Saudi air strikes hit Majza district of Saada province, an official said on Tuesday.

The strikes hit a citizen's car in al-Jamalah area in the district, the official added.
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Artillery of the army and popular shelled a gathering of Saudi-paid mercenaries in al-Moqadra area in Serwah district of Marib province, a military official said on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, dozens of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed and others injured in Wadi al-Theek in the district, the official added.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out on Monday unique military operations in Taiz province.

A military official said that a number of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed at the hands of the army and popular forces in al-Jazami Hill in al-Kadaha area in al-Ma'afer district.
Monday, 16-October-2017
A Saudi aggression fighter jet targeted a citizen's car driving in Fara area of Kutaf district in Saada province overnight, killing the driver and injuring his friend, a security official said on Monday.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army artillery and popular committees launched a fierce attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in Jawf province, a military official said on Monday.

The attack destroyed a military vehicle belonging to the mercenaries and killed all on board in Sabran area in khab and shaaf district.
Sunday, 15-October-2017
Scores of Saudi enemy soldiers were killed and injured on Sunday when the army and popular forces repelled a Saudi military attempt to sneak into Shurfah site in the border province of Najran, a military official said.

The operation was accomplished successfully against the Saudi
Sunday, 15-October-2017
The army and popular committees have killed a total of 18 Saudi-paid mercenaries in sniper operations over the past hours in the central province of Marib, a military official said on Sunday.

Ten mercenaries were killed in Nehm district and eight others were killed in Serwah district, said the official.
Saturday, 14-October-2017
Saudi aggression warplanes have launched more than 49 airstrikes over the past hours on several residential areas across Yemen, a security official said on Sunday.
The airstrikes targeted the areas of Malahiz and Husama in Dhahir district, and areas Thuban, Masahif and Sdad in Bakim district of northern Saada province.
Thursday, 12-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out an operation attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in al-Hawal area in Nehm district.

A local official said that the operation attack resulted in killing and injuring mercenaries, adding they also incurred heavy losses at their ranks

who we are     |    Advertising     |    contact us
All rights reserved © Almotamar Net, Developed by