Saturday, 20-July-2019 13:26
 
no comments in "International"
International
Wednesday, 07-February-2007
Almotamar Net - Tehran says it is holding the US responsible for the life and safety of Jalal Sharafi, the second secretary at the Iranian embassy in Baghdad who was seized by men allegedly wearing Iraqi army uniforms on Sunday.
 
Almotamar.net Aljazeera.net - Tehran says it is holding the US responsible for the life and safety of Jalal Sharafi, the second secretary at the Iranian embassy in Baghdad who was seized by men allegedly wearing Iraqi army uniforms on Sunday.

The US has denied any part in the abduction and says the Iraqi authorities are investigating the kidnapping.



Four men are being held and questioned about the abduction at the Iraqi interior ministry and the Iranian foreign ministry has claimed that the investigation so far has revealed that the men were following American orders.






Alireza Ranaghi, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Iran, said the interior ministry did not deny or confirm that the four men had admitted that there were following American orders.

Tony Snow, a White House spokesman, said on Tuesday: "All we know is that the Iraqi government is investigating it and obviously we abide by and support the Vienna convention for the diplomats, but we don't really know a lot about it at this point."


Mohammad Ali Hosseini, an Iranian foreign ministry spokesman, said Sharafi was seized by a group working under US supervision.
He said: "Based on reliable information, the group which has committed this completely terrorist act, are active under the supervision of the American forces.

"The Islamic Republic of Iran strongly condemns this aggressive act which is in violation of international law."


Lieutenant Colonel Christopher Garver, a US military spokesman in Baghdad, said that no US troops, or Iraqi troops that report to them, were involved in the incident.

"We've checked with our units and it was not an MNF-I [multinational forces Iraq] unit that participated in that event," Garver said, referring to a special Iraqi force that is directed by the US military.

Ambassadors summoned

Iran and the US broke off diplomatic relations in 1980.

Iran on Tuesday summoned the ambassadors of Iraq and Switzerland, which represents US interests in the Islamic republic.

Philippe Welti, the Swiss ambassador to Iran, and Mohammed Majid al-Sheikh, the Iraqi ambassador, were summoned to meetings with their respective regional directors at the foreign ministry.

The Iranian foreign ministry told the envoys: "The kidnapping was contrary to international laws and the diplomat should be released at once and those who committed the terrorist act punished."

Iraqi and Iranian officials said that Sharafi was seized by 30 gunmen wearing Iraqi army uniforms as he drove through a central Baghdad neighbourhood.

One Iraqi official said that Iraqi soldiers in two vehicles had intercepted a car carrying Sharafi at 6pm on Sunday in a predominantly Shia area.

The Iraqi soldiers took Sharafi to another car and sped away.

Iraqi police officers suspected that a kidnapping was taking place and opened fire on the cars, and detained some of the occupants.

Those who were detained were released on Monday.

US supervision

The Iraqi troops were part of an army unit that receives direct orders from the US military, the Iraqi official said, declining to be identified because of the sensitivity of the information.

The White House has authorised US troops in Iraq to kill or capture Iranian agents deemed to be a threat, saying evidence was mounting that Iran was supporting "terrorists" inside Iraq.

The US has accused Iran of being a major supplier of bombs and other weapons used to target US forces. Tehran has denied the charges.

Tensions have flared between the US and Iran over US-led efforts to isolate Iran and force it to abandon its suspected nuclear weapons programme.
More from "International"

Other titles:
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
The United Arab Emirates acknowledged on Tuesday that two of its pilots were killed when their military aggression plane crashed over Jawf province, a military official said

The official added that the aggressive crashed plane was an apache that was
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Three citizens were killed and four others wounded in two Saudi air strikes hit Majza district of Saada province, an official said on Tuesday.

The strikes hit a citizen's car in al-Jamalah area in the district, the official added.
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Artillery of the army and popular shelled a gathering of Saudi-paid mercenaries in al-Moqadra area in Serwah district of Marib province, a military official said on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, dozens of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed and others injured in Wadi al-Theek in the district, the official added.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out on Monday unique military operations in Taiz province.

A military official said that a number of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed at the hands of the army and popular forces in al-Jazami Hill in al-Kadaha area in al-Ma'afer district.
Monday, 16-October-2017
A Saudi aggression fighter jet targeted a citizen's car driving in Fara area of Kutaf district in Saada province overnight, killing the driver and injuring his friend, a security official said on Monday.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army artillery and popular committees launched a fierce attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in Jawf province, a military official said on Monday.

The attack destroyed a military vehicle belonging to the mercenaries and killed all on board in Sabran area in khab and shaaf district.
Sunday, 15-October-2017
Scores of Saudi enemy soldiers were killed and injured on Sunday when the army and popular forces repelled a Saudi military attempt to sneak into Shurfah site in the border province of Najran, a military official said.

The operation was accomplished successfully against the Saudi
Sunday, 15-October-2017
The army and popular committees have killed a total of 18 Saudi-paid mercenaries in sniper operations over the past hours in the central province of Marib, a military official said on Sunday.

Ten mercenaries were killed in Nehm district and eight others were killed in Serwah district, said the official.
Saturday, 14-October-2017
Saudi aggression warplanes have launched more than 49 airstrikes over the past hours on several residential areas across Yemen, a security official said on Sunday.
The airstrikes targeted the areas of Malahiz and Husama in Dhahir district, and areas Thuban, Masahif and Sdad in Bakim district of northern Saada province.
Thursday, 12-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out an operation attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in al-Hawal area in Nehm district.

A local official said that the operation attack resulted in killing and injuring mercenaries, adding they also incurred heavy losses at their ranks

who we are     |    Advertising     |    contact us
All rights reserved © Almotamar Net, Developed by