Friday, 24-November-2017 21:11
 
no comments in "Entertainment"
Entertainment
Saturday, 03-March-2007
Almotamar Net - THE British royal familys desire to end the decade-long controversy over the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, foundered again on Friday after the High Court ruled the inquest must be heard by a jury. almotamar.net google - THE British royal family's desire to end the decade-long controversy over the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, foundered again on Friday after the High Court ruled the inquest must be heard by a jury.
The ruling overturned a decision by deputy royal coroner Elizabeth Butler-Sloss that she would sit alone for the hearing. Her decision was challenged by Mohammed Al Fayed, whose son Dodi was killed alongside Diana when their car crashed in Paris at high speed. Their driver was found to have twice the legal alcohol limit in his blood.
The High Court's decision makes it more likely that the inquest will examine Mr Fayed's allegation that senior royals had mounted a conspiracy to cause the 1997 crash. A three-year-long British police inquiry concluded last year that the deaths were an accident.
Justice Smith, handing down the ruling, said: "Mr Fayed has alleged that the Duke of Edinburgh and the security services conspired to kill the princess and Dodi Fayed.
"The allegation must be inquired into. We want to be sure that the jury is an independent jury."
The judges heard arguments that an inquest would attract worldwide attention and that the perception of a cover-up would be minimised by having a jury.
Justice Smith, sitting with Mr Justice Collins and Justice Silber, said: "As this inquest will attract worldwide interest it must be seen on a worldwide basis to be above reproach in all respects even by people looking at it from a very, very long way away."
Yesterday the three senior judges ruled that the coroner was legally obliged under the 1988 Coroners Act to sit with a jury because recommendations could be made to reduce the danger posed to royals, celebrities and members of the public by photographers pursuing them.
During the hearing of Mr Fayed's application the judges were told there was an "eerie similarity" between the paparazzi pursuit of the princess and their recent "hounding" of her son Prince William's girlfriend Kate Middleton.
The judges said: "It is likely that there will be a recurrence of the type of event in which the paparazzi on wheels pursued the princess and Dodi Fayed."
A coroner and jury can make recommendations aimed at preventing future deaths.
Outside court, Mr Fayed called for Prince Charles and the Duke of Edinburgh to be called as witnesses. Such a demand makes likely further legal battles before an inquest is held.
Mr Fayed said: "The jury must now be allowed to hear the entirety of the evidence, but I fear there will be attempts to keep it from them.
"I have already had to fight for almost 10 years to establish once and for all how they died, why they died, who ordered their murders and who slaughtered them with such awful brutality."
Mr Fayed refuses to accept that the deaths of his 42-year-old son and Princess Diana, 36, were accidental.
A British police investigation headed by former London Metropolitan police (known as the Met) commissioner Lord Stevens dismissed Mr Fayed's claims of a murder conspiracy, concluding the death was a "tragic accident". GUARDIAN

More from "Entertainment"

Other titles:
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
The United Arab Emirates acknowledged on Tuesday that two of its pilots were killed when their military aggression plane crashed over Jawf province, a military official said

The official added that the aggressive crashed plane was an apache that was
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Three citizens were killed and four others wounded in two Saudi air strikes hit Majza district of Saada province, an official said on Tuesday.

The strikes hit a citizen's car in al-Jamalah area in the district, the official added.
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Artillery of the army and popular shelled a gathering of Saudi-paid mercenaries in al-Moqadra area in Serwah district of Marib province, a military official said on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, dozens of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed and others injured in Wadi al-Theek in the district, the official added.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out on Monday unique military operations in Taiz province.

A military official said that a number of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed at the hands of the army and popular forces in al-Jazami Hill in al-Kadaha area in al-Ma'afer district.
Monday, 16-October-2017
A Saudi aggression fighter jet targeted a citizen's car driving in Fara area of Kutaf district in Saada province overnight, killing the driver and injuring his friend, a security official said on Monday.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army artillery and popular committees launched a fierce attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in Jawf province, a military official said on Monday.

The attack destroyed a military vehicle belonging to the mercenaries and killed all on board in Sabran area in khab and shaaf district.
Sunday, 15-October-2017
Scores of Saudi enemy soldiers were killed and injured on Sunday when the army and popular forces repelled a Saudi military attempt to sneak into Shurfah site in the border province of Najran, a military official said.

The operation was accomplished successfully against the Saudi
Sunday, 15-October-2017
The army and popular committees have killed a total of 18 Saudi-paid mercenaries in sniper operations over the past hours in the central province of Marib, a military official said on Sunday.

Ten mercenaries were killed in Nehm district and eight others were killed in Serwah district, said the official.
Saturday, 14-October-2017
Saudi aggression warplanes have launched more than 49 airstrikes over the past hours on several residential areas across Yemen, a security official said on Sunday.
The airstrikes targeted the areas of Malahiz and Husama in Dhahir district, and areas Thuban, Masahif and Sdad in Bakim district of northern Saada province.
Thursday, 12-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out an operation attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in al-Hawal area in Nehm district.

A local official said that the operation attack resulted in killing and injuring mercenaries, adding they also incurred heavy losses at their ranks

who we are     |    Advertising     |    contact us
All rights reserved © Almotamar Net, Developed by