Tuesday, 21-November-2017 11:05
 
no comments in "Yemen in news"
Yemen in news
Wednesday, 14-March-2007
Almotamar.net Wall Street Journal - WASHINGTON -- In 2005, on his first day as head of President Bush's signature foreign-aid program, John Danilovich's to-do list included the unpleasant task of telling Yemen's president that his reform efforts had slipped so badly that the country was being cut off.
Last month, Mr. Danilovich phoned Yemeni President Ali Abdallah Saleh with better news: Yemen was back on the list of countries eligible for grants from the Millennium Challenge program.
What happened during those 15 months is evidence of the potential ripple effects of the high-profile aid program -- and the power of the threat to publicly shame countries that veer off the path of economic and political overhaul. Mr. Saleh implemented changes aimed at, among other things, battling corruption, reducing a budget deficit and cleaning up the court system.
"There are many, many countries that want to be part of the Millennium Challenge account, and the competition is stiff, and the elbows are getting sharper," says Mr. Danilovich, a former oil-shipping executive and Republican activist. "If Country X doesn't want to participate, there are many other countries that do want to participate."
When he announced the initiative in 2002, Mr. Bush promised it would be an effective way to fight poverty and disease overseas. The grants would be big enough to jolt a country into economic growth but would go only to nations that met criteria for open markets, social spending and honest, democratic government. So far, the Millennium Challenge Corp., which runs the program, has approved grants valued at $3 billion to 11 countries. Another 11 countries have gotten "threshold" grants aimed at improving their scores on the 18 eligibility criteria. Altogether, 40 countries -- from Nicaragua to Madagascar -- perform well enough to compete for aid.
Mr. Danilovich says the program creates an incentive for countries to make sometimes-painful policy changes, and points to Lesotho as proof. Traditionally, married women in the southern African country had the same legal rights as children; they couldn't buy land or borrow money without permission from their husbands. With the Millennium Challenge Corp. pressing for changes, the Lesotho Parliament passed a law in November putting married women on equal legal footing with their husbands.
"We were very instrumental in getting that bill into Parliament," says Sophia Mohapi, the Millennium Challenge Corp.'s representative in Lesotho. The country is now negotiating a $360 million aid package.
Only twice has the Millennium Challenge Corp. suspended a country that had already qualified to apply for aid, and the results were sharply different.

More from "Yemen in news"

Other titles:
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
The United Arab Emirates acknowledged on Tuesday that two of its pilots were killed when their military aggression plane crashed over Jawf province, a military official said

The official added that the aggressive crashed plane was an apache that was
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Three citizens were killed and four others wounded in two Saudi air strikes hit Majza district of Saada province, an official said on Tuesday.

The strikes hit a citizen's car in al-Jamalah area in the district, the official added.
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Artillery of the army and popular shelled a gathering of Saudi-paid mercenaries in al-Moqadra area in Serwah district of Marib province, a military official said on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, dozens of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed and others injured in Wadi al-Theek in the district, the official added.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out on Monday unique military operations in Taiz province.

A military official said that a number of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed at the hands of the army and popular forces in al-Jazami Hill in al-Kadaha area in al-Ma'afer district.
Monday, 16-October-2017
A Saudi aggression fighter jet targeted a citizen's car driving in Fara area of Kutaf district in Saada province overnight, killing the driver and injuring his friend, a security official said on Monday.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army artillery and popular committees launched a fierce attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in Jawf province, a military official said on Monday.

The attack destroyed a military vehicle belonging to the mercenaries and killed all on board in Sabran area in khab and shaaf district.
Sunday, 15-October-2017
Scores of Saudi enemy soldiers were killed and injured on Sunday when the army and popular forces repelled a Saudi military attempt to sneak into Shurfah site in the border province of Najran, a military official said.

The operation was accomplished successfully against the Saudi
Sunday, 15-October-2017
The army and popular committees have killed a total of 18 Saudi-paid mercenaries in sniper operations over the past hours in the central province of Marib, a military official said on Sunday.

Ten mercenaries were killed in Nehm district and eight others were killed in Serwah district, said the official.
Saturday, 14-October-2017
Saudi aggression warplanes have launched more than 49 airstrikes over the past hours on several residential areas across Yemen, a security official said on Sunday.
The airstrikes targeted the areas of Malahiz and Husama in Dhahir district, and areas Thuban, Masahif and Sdad in Bakim district of northern Saada province.
Thursday, 12-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out an operation attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in al-Hawal area in Nehm district.

A local official said that the operation attack resulted in killing and injuring mercenaries, adding they also incurred heavy losses at their ranks

who we are     |    Advertising     |    contact us
All rights reserved © Almotamar Net, Developed by