Thursday, 29-January-2015 11:15
 
no comments in "Yemen in news"
Yemen in news
Monday, 09-April-2007
Almotamar.net Gulf News - Sanaa: The Yemeni Parliament has voted against the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court, retracting a majority vote for it on March 24.
The 83 members (out of the 133 attending members) who voted against agreement said it was contradicting the constitution and Islamic Sharia, and the remaining 50 voted in favour saying it was in harmony with the constitution and Sharia.
On March 24, the statute was approved by a majority from all parties in a second session held to vote on the statute.
The Secretary General of the ruling People's General Congress, Abdul Qader Bajammal criticised yesterday the Parliamentary bloc of his party for voting against agreement, denying interference from President Ali Abdullah Saleh.
After the vote there was a rumour that the overwhelming majority of the ruling party had received instructions from President Saleh to cancel their previous vote for the agreement.
"Did you know that Yemen hosted an international conference in 2004 on the ICC and it was chaired by President Ali Abdullah Saleh?" Bajammal asked.
On April 6 the International coordinator of the Coalition of ICC, William R. Pace had sent a letter to President Saleh urging him to "approve the Parliament's important vote without delay".
Flagrant violation
The Yemeni coordinator of the CICC for Middle East and North Africa, Amal Basha declined to comment on the Parliament recantation.
"I have no comment on this retraction. I would only say, the young parliament will vote for the Rome Statute instead of the adult Parliament," Amal Basha said.
In Saturday's session chaired by Deputy Speaker, Yahya Al Ra'ee, some 81 MPs voted against and 50 voted in favour of it.
The supporters of ICC considered the step as a flagrant violation of the constitution and bylaws because the Parliament had already voted the Rome Statute and had addressed a letter to the President Saleh for the completion of the procedures. The letter was submitted to Saleh on March 26.
MP Mansour Al Zandani, one of those who oppose the ICC, said the vote against the ICC had represented a genuine willingness of the Parliament to adhere to the Sharia and constitution and by-laws.
But MP Shawqi Al Qadi said, "This vote does not mean anything because the Parliament has voted and now the ball is in President Saleh's court, and it is only him now who has the right to ratify or to return it to Parliament."

Source: Gulf News
More from "Yemen in news"

Other titles:
Tuesday, 27-January-2015
The Special Adviser to the UN Secretary-General on Yemen has revealed that the political powers representatives reiterated their commitment to continue their consultations to end the political crisis in Yemen.

Jamal Benomar made the statement after a meeting held on Monday with representatives of the political forces signatories to the Peace and National Partnership Agreement (PNPA).
Monday, 26-January-2015
Two terrorists were killed in a foiled attack on a military site belonging to the 115th Infantry Brigade in Khanfar district of Abyan province, a military source said Monday.

A number of the attackers were injured during repelling the attack and the rest escaped, leaving their weapons, the source added.
Sunday, 25-January-2015
The board of the House of Representatives (Parliament) has postponed the parliament's emergency meeting initially scheduled for Sunday.

The meeting was delayed until "another date to be set later," the house's board said.

It said the postponement aimed at allowing more time to "inform all members of the parliament to attend."
Saturday, 24-January-2015
The Speaker of Parliament Yahya al-Raei arrived in Riyadh Air Base on Saturday at head of Yemeni official delegation to offer condolences on the death of King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz.

King Abdullah, who had ruled since 2005 and was said to be aged about 90, died early on Friday.
Saturday, 24-January-2015

A Yemeni delegation led by Speaker of the Parliament Yahya al-Raei headed to the Saudi capital Riyadh on Saturday to offer condolences on the death of King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz.

King Abdullah, who had ruled since 2005 and was said to be aged about 90, died early on Friday after a short illness.
Wednesday, 21-January-2015
Congress (GPC) and its allies are still asking for the the outputs of the national dialogue conference that agreed upon the agreement of peace and partnership and the importance of a quick working on the implementation of the four points in the speech of Mr. AbdulMalik Badr al-Din al-Houthi yesterday. He added that the points have been agreed upon in the peace agreement and partnership that signed by all parties in order to take out of the Yemen political tension and to avoid violence and bloodshed
Tuesday, 20-January-2015
The Arab League called on Tuesday all the political parties to immediately stop and reject all forms of violence.

Deputy Secretary General of the Arab League Ahmad bin Hali said in a press statement the secretariat is following up with great interest the developments in Yemen, and carrying out calls in order to assist containing the crisis.

He also urged all parties to support efforts exerted by President Abdo Rabbu Mansour Hadi in accordance with the Peace and Partnership Agreement that based on the National Dialogue Conference (NDC)'s outputs in order to ensure Yemen's security and stability.

From another hand, the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs appealed the political components to hold their responsibilities in contributing to achieve stability and peace in the country
Tuesday, 20-January-2015
The Government has called all the political parties that signed the Peace and Partnership Agreement to hold an emergency meeting on Tuesday morning.

The meeting would be chaired by President Abdo Rabbu Mansour Hadi and attended by bodies of the Parliament and the Shura Council.
Monday, 19-January-2015
Interior Minister Jalal al-Rowaishan affirmed on Monday a ceasefire came into force between ' Ansar Allah ' and Presidential Security Brigades in Sana'a as of 4:30 p.m.

The decision was made by a Presidential Committee includes the Defense and Interior Ministers, Special Security Forces Commander and President adviser Saleh al-Sammad.
Saturday, 17-January-2015
The five detained fishermen by the Sudanese government returned home on Saturday after being seized for four months because of entering Sudan's territorial waters without prior permission.

The fishermen expressed their appreciation to the efforts of the Yemeni government and ambassador in Khartoum for releasing and returning them home.

who we are     |    Advertising     |    contact us
All rights reserved © Almotamar Net, Developed by