Almotamar Net -
The Yemeni film “A New Day in Old Sana’a” won the first prize, worth 100 thousand Egyptian pounds, at the Cairo Film Festival on Thursday, Dec 8, 2005. The festival that ended on Friday Dec 9, 2005, included films from different countries around the world such as China – guest of honor-, Greece and France. The film was screened three times at “Grand Hayat Hotel” in the Egyptian city of Cairo. The organizing committee selected the Yemeni film from a collection of 150 movies from all around the world to participate in the formal competition of the festival along with other 14 films, two of them are Arab-made.
“A New Day in Old Sana’a” was co-produced by the Yemen Media Center in Sana’a and London-based Felix Films. It marks Yemenis’ ability and creativity in the film industry and the possibility of getting a thriving film making sector. The film was directed by Yemeni international film maker Badr Al-Hirsi and involved some 20 cinematography experts and technicians as well as 70 actors working over 60 days. The 90-minute film is set in the alleys of the magical old city of Sana’a. Produced late 2003 and early 2004, the Yemen’s film follows the lives of a number of persons during a day that soon becomes a local legend. The region waits keenly for the wedding of the year, not knowing the inner psychic disturbance of the groom who realizes that the woman he loves is not the wealthy girl he is to marry today but actually a low-class orphaned lass. Passions such as love and envy interplay leading to changes in the lives of the people concerned. Finally, the groom has gets compelled to choose between marriage and tradition on one hand or love and whatever it entails on the other.
Depicting aspects that are diametrically opposed to what most outsiders think of Yemen, the film provides a true and honest portrait of life in Yemen. It is interesting to know that the leading actor Nabil Saber of Old Sana’a, and his co-star actress Julia Towns of London found real-life romance and exchanged wedding vows last year in London, after which they eventually married. Earlier, Bader Al-Hirsi categorized his film to be some sort of a “romantic drama, showing a severe conflict between modern values and old, [but] is respectful of the strong morals of Yemen’s Islamic society.”
Before this event, this film was selected to participate at France-based Cannes Film Festival in 2004. The Film was accepted as part of the Cannes Film Festival during May 11-22, 2005. Although the film did not compete for the Palm d’Or (Golden Palm), because of its unfinished status caused by insufficient funding, it was introduced as part of the Marche du Filme (Film Market). It is worth noting that it was the first Yemeni film ever featured at Cannes. The film was also promoted at the 2005 European Film Festival that started on Dec 4, 2005, in the city of Aden along side with many other European films.
The film is planned to be screened at Dubai International Film Festival this month and at Muscat Film Festival this January. It is also expected to be featured at some 80 film festivals across Europe, America and Asia over the next years. The film was produced as part of the celebratory functions of the Sana’a as the Arab Culture Capital for 2004. It is noteworthy that the total cost of “A New Day in Old Sana’a” was to the tune of $750 thousand.
The Saudi-led coalition's warplanes and its mercenaries continued to breach the UN-announced ceasefire in several provinces during the past 24 hours, a military official said Sunday.
The aggression's war jets dropped sound bombs on al-Nahdain and Noqm areas in the Capital and launched two sorties on Nehm district and two on al-Shurfa area in Bani Hushaish district in Sana'a province, the official said.
He added the aggression dropped also four sound bombs on al-Shahel district and petrol bombs on al-Mazraq in Haradh district in Hajjah province.
In Jawf province, three children were wounded by the Saudi air bombing on al-Muaimerah area in al-Moton district, which was targeted by two air raids.
The Saudi-led coalition's warplanes and its mercenaries continued to breach the UN-announced ceasefire in several provinces during the past 24 hours, a military official said Saturday.
The official said that the Saudi war jets kept flying in the skies of the provinces of Sana'a, Jawf, Mareb, Sa'ada, Amran, Hajjah, Hodeidah and Mahweet.
The hostile warplanes waged six raids on al-Majaweha area in Nehm district and two others on Bani Hoshish district in Sana'a province, while Riyadh's mercenaries pounded the areas of Dhaboa'a, Mabda'a, al-Majaweha and al-Houl in Nehm with missiles, the official elaborated.
In Jawf, the war jets of the Saudi aggression launched two raids on the districts of al-Masloub and al-Ghail, while the hirelings pounded al-Maton district with artillery shells.
A military vehicle carrying 23-caliber machine gun belonging to the mercenaries was burned when the army and popular committees forces repelled their failed attempt to advance on Waqaz area in al-Masloub district
At least a citizen was killed and five others were wounded on Friday in an airstrike by the Saudi-led coalition on Moza’ district in Taiz province.
A local official said that the raid targeted a truck loaded with cement on the main road in al-Hardain area of Moza’ district, which led to the killing of a citizen, injuring five others and damaging the truck’s load.
The aggression’s warplanes waged two raids on the coastal city of Mocha, the official added.
A senior United Nations relief official has warned of the worsening humanitarian crisis in Yemen due to the continuing conflict.
“Seeing the plight of the Yemeni people first-hand reinforces the need for national and international humanitarian actors to scale up their response to protect and support the population,” John Ging, Director of Operations in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), said in a statement issued on Tuesday.
More than 13 million people in need of immediate life-saving assistance in Yemen, Ging stated following his three-day visit to the country with Emergency Director of the World Health Organization (WHO), Rick Brennan, and Deputy Emergency Director of the World Food Programme (WFP), Gian Carlo Cirri.
He pointed out that the healthy food and access to health care are among the more requirements of the population.
Since mid-March 2015, the conflict has prompted a widening protection crisis, exacerbating an already dire humanitarian situation brought on by years of poverty, poor governance and instability. Over 7.6 million people are severely food insecure, and 2.5 million people have been displaced by violent conflict since January 2014.
The national delegation consisting of representatives of the General People’s Congress headed by Mr. Aref Awad Azwkaand and Ansarullah headed by Mr. Mohammed Abdulsalam held on Thursday, two sessions with the UN envoy to Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed,.
The two sessions discussed a roadmap for a transitional period and the need to completely stop hostilities.
The national delegation stressed the need for supporting the ceasefire the existing stage is governed by consensus and partnership, and that the key solution is consensus on a transitional authority.