Thursday, 03-September-2015 13:51
 
no comments in "Yemen in news"
Yemen in news
Saturday, 16-June-2007
Almotamar Net - Yemen’s Foreign Minister Dr Abu Bakr Al-Qirbi held a press conference Friday in the Yemeni embassy in London during which he talked about many issues evolving in his country and in the Middle East. Dr. Saad Guerraoui Middle East Online -


Yemen’s Foreign Minister Dr Abu Bakr Al-Qirbi held a press conference Friday in the Yemeni embassy in London during which he talked about many issues evolving in his country and in the Middle East.
Qirbi was asked about the current situation in Saada province where the Houthi rebels are still surrounded by Yemeni military and security forces; the influx of Somali refugees; Yemen’s bid to join the Gulf Corporation Council; and the crises in Palestinian territories, Iraq and Lebanon.
Developments in Yemen
Qirbi said that “there is misinformation about the Houthi rebels. They took up arms without any pretext. The Yemeni stance is that there are some Iranian sources which financed the rebels in addition to other Shiite groups in Iraq, Bahrain and other countries in the region where this sect exists.”
The insurgency of the so-called "Faithful Youth" movement has been unfolding around Saada, capital of Saada province near the border with Saudi Arabia.
The rebels are referred to as "Houthis" after their slain commander, Hussein Badr Eddin al-Houthi. They reject the republican regime as "illegitimate" and call for the restoration of the Zaidi imamate, which was overthrown in a 1962 the September 26 revolution.
Al-Qirbi said that Yemeni forces “are still besieging them and hopefully they will surrender soon as the government does want to use force to intervene because they remain Yemenis,” adding that “it is difficult to pinpoint which country is financing them.”
As for Somali refugees, Qirbi noted that Somalia and Yemen share a long history of mutual relationships.
“We are suffering from the huge influx of Somali refugees and it is affecting our country’s economy,” the Yemeni FM said.
“There are currently more than 300,000 Somali refugees living in Yemen and the government is unable to provide the basic needs such as education and healthcare. Unfortunately, the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) is not taking into account our demands to get more relief assistance to refugees.”
On the economic aspect, Qirbi said that more than 40% of international donors’ aid has been allocated to various projects including schools, roads, electricity and so on.
International donors pledged $4.73 billion for Yemen last November in London in order to improve the country’s infrastructure and fight poverty and illiteracy.
According to the British government, almost 50% of Yemenis are illiterate and 4 out of 10 live on less than $2 a day.
“Yemen’s objective is to focus on an economic integration, boost trade with GCC and lure more investment from the bloc. Let’s not forget that the GCC is Yemen’s partner in foreign trade,” Qirbi said.
“Many Gulf Corporation Council (GCC) countries are enthusiastic about Yemen becoming a member of the bloc, but we believe that working on the economic front is the real key to both parties’ interests, which, therefore lead to a full integration.”
GCC states, which forged their alliance in 1981, have been in no hurry to admit Yemen into their ranks. However, in December 2001, Yemen won GCC approval to join some of the bloc's councils - in the fields of education, social affairs, health and sports.
Situation in Iraq
Qirbi said that “what we see in Iraq is a very complicated matter. Neither the US nor Britain are able to come up with a solution to restore peace in Iraq. Yemen reiterated that the solution is, first and foremost, in the hands of Iraqis who should not exclude any party from reconciliation.
“I think there is a need for an Arab role to help find a solution to the crisis, which was previously opposed by Iraq. I think restoring stability in Iraq will not come from the Iraqi government only, but also from a national reconciliation and reviewing the constitution,” he added.
US Defence Secretary Robert Gates urged on Friday Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki to make stronger efforts at reconciliation amid fears that another round of mosque bombings will further inflame sectarian violence.
Palestinian crisis
“It is saddening to see Palestinians kill each other while there is an enemy out there. Palestinian unity is the only weapon to fight the Israeli enemy who is benefiting from the internecine strife to achieve its plans. It was the Palestinian unity which kept the struggle, and today we see it being torn apart,” the Yemeni FM said.
Qirbi thinks that preserving Palestinian unity is the essence of the struggle against the Israeli occupation.
“Sadly, there is conspiracy from many parties against Palestinian unity. Because they think that, by dividing Palestinians, they will achieve their aims.
Hamas fighters consolidated their capture of the Gaza Strip, creating an "Islamist" enclave on Israel's doorstep and further dashing hopes for peace and Palestinian statehood.
Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas named a new prime minister for his emergency cabinet after his secular Fatah forces were routed by Hamas in the besiege territory in the culmination of days of deadly gun battles.
The dramatic developments have effectively split the Palestinians into two geographically divided and separately ruled entities in Gaza and the occupied West Bank.
“Arab foreign ministers need to find ways to contain the escalating strife because we do not know the fate of Gaza Strip,” Qirbi stressed.
Syrian-Lebanese crisis
Qirbi noted that “both Lebanon and Syria need to work together and prepare the ground for bilateral talks in a bid to find ways to resolve the political crisis. That’s the stance that President Saleh took during his last visit to Washington and stressed that Syria should be considered as a key player in the region.”
“We hope that Lebanese leaders will put Lebanon’s interests in the forefront of their political agenda rather than factional interests. Dialogue is the only way to solve all the conflicts,” he went on.
The 2005 assassination of former Lebanese PM Rafiq Hariri has been widely blamed on Syria, which itself condemned the murder and denies involvement.
Hariri's murder triggered protests dubbed the Cedar Revolution in Lebanon and international outrage that forced Syria to end 29 years of military domination of its smaller neighbour.


Source: Middle East Online

More from "Yemen in news"

Other titles:
Saturday, 29-August-2015
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is seriously concerned about an increase in fighting in the city of Taiz.

In a press release issued on Friday, the ICRC said that there has been indiscriminate shelling of civilian areas, and essential infrastructure is being destroyed.

"We call on the parties on the ground in Taiz to allow the safe passage of ambulances, medical workers and aid workers so that lives can be saved and the delivery of urgently needed humanitarian assistance can be made possible," said the head of the ICRC in Taiz, Olivier Chassot.

The ICRC indicated that the health situation in the governorate is particularly dire. The handful of hospitals still functioning are having to deal with large numbers of wounded people as well as severe shortage of supplies. The ICRC has had serious difficulties in delivering lifesaving medical and surgical supplies to a number of hospitals in Taiz.
Friday, 28-August-2015
Around five people were killed and two others injured in a Saudi-led coalition attack on a number of densely populated areas in Razih district in Sa'ada province.

A local source said the Saudi-led coalition launched hundreds of air raids during the past few days on various parts of Sa'ada, including Razih, Ghamer, Shatha, al-Dhaher, Haidan and Ketaf.
Friday, 21-August-2015
The European Union (EU) has affirmed that the recent airstrikes on Hodeida port imposed an immediate hindrance to imports food, fuel, medicines and other supplies.

A joint Statement by the Spokespersons of the High Representative / Vice-President Federica Mogherini and Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management Christos Stylianides on the bombings in Yemen of port facilities in Hodeida said:

“The current conflict in Yemen is having a dramatic impact on the civilian population whose needs have reached alarming proportions. Access for the delivery of humanitarian aid and essential supplies, including fuel, food and basic commodities to ordinary Yemenis remains extremely difficult.
Wednesday, 12-August-2015
The head of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has described the humanitarian situation in Yemen as catastrophic.

"The humanitarian situation is nothing short of catastrophic. Every family in Yemen has been affected by this conflict. The people are facing immense hardship. And it is getting worse by the day. The world needs to wake up to what is going on," said Peter Maurer, who just ended a three-day visit to Yemen on Tuesday.

"The compounded effects of intense fighting and import restrictions are having a dramatic impact on health care," Maurer said. "Health facilities have been massively attacked as well as suffering collateral damage."
Monday, 10-August-2015
Three women and a child were killed and two children injured on Sunday in a Saudi bombing on citizens' houses on Harf Sufyan in Amran province, a local source said.

The source added that the Saudi-led collation is still launching raids
Sunday, 09-August-2015

President of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Peter Maurer has said that the ICRC will expand its activities in Yemen.

In a press conference in Sana’a on Sunday, Maurer affirmed that his visit will achieve positive and prompt results with regards to the humanitarian response in Yemen.

He said that he is optimistic that the visit will result in doubling the ICRC efforts to face this “disastrous” situation as what the ICRC and its partners currently provide cannot cover all the humanitarian aspects, specially that the country is under siege.
Sunday, 02-August-2015
The Saudi aggression continued on Sunday to launch airstrikes on several governorates in the country.

A security source said Saudi war jets launched a number of raids on different parts of Hajjah governorate, destroying the building of the Roads and Bridges Authority in Haradh town in addition to many air raids carried out by drones in the town.

The Saudi warplanes also launched many raids on al-Hamara area of Lahj governorate, which led to numerous fatalities, including women and children. More than 16 sorties were carried out against areas of Muthalath al-Anad, al-Anad Air Base, Abain and Karesh, the source said.

In Dhamar governorate, the Saudi warplanes launched an airstrike targeted the Yemeni Economic Corporation building in Ma'abar city.
Saturday, 01-August-2015
The Saudi-American aggression implemented on Saturday 6 sorties against Old Mareb and the surrounding areas.

Local sources said that the Old Mareb was attacked by six sorties extending to Al-Ashraf area to the west of the city.
Thursday, 30-April-2015
The United Nations has announced that the number of Yemeni internally displaced persons (IDPs) due the military aggression had doubled in less than two weeks.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said that the number of Yemeni IDPs had increased twice in 19 governorates since 17 April 2015 when 150 thousand Yemeni IDPs were registered.

It warned of the gravity of situations in Yemen because of the aggression.

The statement pointed out that the big number of IDPs are from the northern Hajjah governorate, in addition to southern Al-Dhalea and Abyan governorates.
Wednesday, 29-April-2015
Amnesty International has called for investigating the killing of hundreds of civilians, including scores of children, by the Saudi Arabian-led airstrikes across Yemen.

"The month-long campaign of air strikes carried out by Saudi Arabia and its allies has transformed many parts of Yemen into a dangerous place for civilians," said Said Boumedouha, Deputy Director of Amnesty International's Middle East and North Africa Programme.

"Millions of people have been forced to live in a state of utter terror, afraid of being killed at home. Many feel they are left with no choice but to move away from their destroyed villages to an uncertain future."

The UN has stated that more than 550 civilians have been killed including more than 100 children since the military campaign began on 25 March.

Amnesty International said it has documented eight strikes in five densely populated areas, which are Sa'ada, Sana'a, Hodeida, Hajjah and Ibb, noting that several of these strikes raised concerns about compliance with the rules of international humanitarian law.

According its research, Amnesty International said at least 139 people, including at least 97 civilians, 33 of whom were children were killed during the strikes, and 460 individuals were injured, at least 157 whom are civilians.

who we are     |    Advertising     |    contact us
All rights reserved © Almotamar Net, Developed by