Saturday, 25-November-2017 12:20
 
no comments in "International"
International
Almotamar Net - ISTANBUL, July 28 (Reuters) - Shocked and angry residents in a conservative Istanbul neighbourhood blamed separatist Kurdish guerrillas on Monday for two bomb explosions, which killed 17 people and injured more than 150 others.

Monday, 28-July-2008
Almotamar.net, rEUTERS - ISTANBUL, July 28 (Reuters) - Shocked and angry residents in a conservative Istanbul neighbourhood blamed separatist Kurdish guerrillas on Monday for two bomb explosions, which killed 17 people and injured more than 150 others.

A loud blast on Sunday evening lured people onto a pedestrian street of a busy shopping and eating area in Gungoren, a stronghold of the ruling AK Party on the European side of Turkey's biggest city. Minutes later a second bigger bomb in a nearby trash can exploded, ripping through the crowd.

"This is the first incident I have ever seen in this neighbourhood. I have not come across fights and I have been living here for 20 years," said Arzu Bagdat, 33, textile trader.

No one has claimed responsibility for the bomb attacks, the deadliest in Turkey since 2003.

"This was such a trap for people. It's probably the PKK, who else would do such a professional job," asked Emin Ilkbahar, a shaken and visibly upset 39-year-old marble worker who had spent Sunday with a friend who died in the evening attacks.

The Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) took up arms against the Turkish state in 1984 with the aim of establishing an ethnic homeland in southeast Turkey. Some 40,000 people have been killed in the conflict, largely focused on fighting between guerrillas and security forces in the southeast.

On Monday pro-PKK websites reported the guerrillas as denying any involvement in Sunday's blasts.

Analysts said recent offensives against the separatists, including the bombing of 12 suspected PKK targets in northern Iraq on Sunday, had cornered the PKK to take more radical actions to target civilians, a rare tactic for the group.



TENSION

The Istanbul blasts came at the height of tensions in Turkey as the ruling AK Party fights for survival in court and police probe a shadowy ultra-nationalist group, called Ergenekon, suspected of potting a coup to overthrow the government.

But several residents of Gungoren, a non-descript low to middle class district where an Islamic brand of nationalism thrives, said they doubted any links to the court case or Ergenekon. A big pro-Kurdish rally was cancelled late last year because of police concerns of plans to disrupt the meeting.

The area was also not one frequented by tourists, who have been targets of past bombing campaigns.

"This hasn't got anything to do with the court case or Ergenekon. It is most likely a reaction to the military's attacks on the PKK," said Mustafa Ozyalcin, who scrapes a living by doing odd jobs in the neighbourhood.

"I hope and think members of the Constitutional Court will follow common sense for the sake of this country and not close down the AK Party now."

Locals residents -- many pious Muslims but also nationalists who migrated from the Black Sea over the years to search for a better future -- put up Turkish flags overnight and applauded Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan when he visited on Monday.

"We made this street a prestigious street for the neighbourhood. We wanted the people to get a nice area and be able to walk around," Muharrem Ergun, an AK Party and local municipality member, told Reuters.

"Those who died were mainly working class people."


More from "International"

Other titles:
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
The United Arab Emirates acknowledged on Tuesday that two of its pilots were killed when their military aggression plane crashed over Jawf province, a military official said

The official added that the aggressive crashed plane was an apache that was
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Three citizens were killed and four others wounded in two Saudi air strikes hit Majza district of Saada province, an official said on Tuesday.

The strikes hit a citizen's car in al-Jamalah area in the district, the official added.
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Artillery of the army and popular shelled a gathering of Saudi-paid mercenaries in al-Moqadra area in Serwah district of Marib province, a military official said on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, dozens of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed and others injured in Wadi al-Theek in the district, the official added.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out on Monday unique military operations in Taiz province.

A military official said that a number of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed at the hands of the army and popular forces in al-Jazami Hill in al-Kadaha area in al-Ma'afer district.
Monday, 16-October-2017
A Saudi aggression fighter jet targeted a citizen's car driving in Fara area of Kutaf district in Saada province overnight, killing the driver and injuring his friend, a security official said on Monday.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army artillery and popular committees launched a fierce attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in Jawf province, a military official said on Monday.

The attack destroyed a military vehicle belonging to the mercenaries and killed all on board in Sabran area in khab and shaaf district.
Sunday, 15-October-2017
Scores of Saudi enemy soldiers were killed and injured on Sunday when the army and popular forces repelled a Saudi military attempt to sneak into Shurfah site in the border province of Najran, a military official said.

The operation was accomplished successfully against the Saudi
Sunday, 15-October-2017
The army and popular committees have killed a total of 18 Saudi-paid mercenaries in sniper operations over the past hours in the central province of Marib, a military official said on Sunday.

Ten mercenaries were killed in Nehm district and eight others were killed in Serwah district, said the official.
Saturday, 14-October-2017
Saudi aggression warplanes have launched more than 49 airstrikes over the past hours on several residential areas across Yemen, a security official said on Sunday.
The airstrikes targeted the areas of Malahiz and Husama in Dhahir district, and areas Thuban, Masahif and Sdad in Bakim district of northern Saada province.
Thursday, 12-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out an operation attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in al-Hawal area in Nehm district.

A local official said that the operation attack resulted in killing and injuring mercenaries, adding they also incurred heavy losses at their ranks

who we are     |    Advertising     |    contact us
All rights reserved © Almotamar Net, Developed by