Tuesday, 21-November-2017 11:05
 
no comments in "International"
International
Almotamar Net - More than 60 people were killed and around 135 injured after a massive bomb struck a Shia suburb of Baghdad, amid growing fears that sectarian violence may once more engulf Iraq. 
According to Interior Ministry officials, the blast came at 7.30pm from a bomb hidden in a motorised rickshaw, the explosives covered by fruit and vegetables.

Thursday, 25-June-2009
Almotamar.net, Google - More than 60 people were killed and around 135 injured after a massive bomb struck a Shia suburb of Baghdad, amid growing fears that sectarian violence may once more engulf Iraq.
According to Interior Ministry officials, the blast came at 7.30pm from a bomb hidden in a motorised rickshaw, the explosives covered by fruit and vegetables.
It hit a bird market in the vast area known as Sadr City which saw some of Iraq's fiercest fighting during times of sectarian violence.
It is the latest in a series of attacks which included Iraq's deadliest in 16 months on Saturday, when a car bomb targeted a Shia mosque in Taza near the northern city of Kirkuk, killing more than 70 people and flattening 80 houses.
The spike in violence is widely thought to be related to the imminent June 30 deadline for American troops to withdraw from Iraq's cities, as doubts remain about whether Iraq's forces are ready to maintain security in the still-volatile country.
The handover has been gradual and US forces handed control of Sadr City to Iraqi forces at the weekend, but the area had already been struck on Monday when a roadside bomb hit a school bus, killing three high school students and wounding 12 others.
Security in Iraq has improved dramatically in the last year, with the civilian death toll at 124 in May 2009; the lowest since the 2003 invasion.
But deaths have soared in recent weeks and Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki has warned that attacks will likely escalate further as US soldiers withdraw. Calling the bomb in Taza an "ugly crime," he accused insurgents of trying to spread mistrust of Iraq's security forces.
However, he has repeatedly insisted that Iraq's police and Army are ready to take charge of security, calling the US withdrawal a great victory for Iraq, which demonstrates the country's sovereignty.
He has refused to delay the planned pullback of US troops according to the timetable set out in the Status of Forces Agreement agreed between the US and Iraq, which came into force earlier this year. A national holiday has been declared for June 30 - although security concerns may mean a curfew is also imposed.
Speaking at the weekend, Mr al Maliki, who has built his political popularity on bringing stability to Iraq, said that any extension of the June 30 deadline would show a lack of confidence and be a "historic setback,"adding that "we will not retreat no matter what happens."
Today's blast came after a spokesman for the US military in Iraq, told reporters that after June 30, some US soldiers will remain at posts called Joint Security Stations to train and advise local security forces.
However, "the amount of forces remaining in the cities for stability operations will be extremely small," he said, while refusing to confirm exact numbers.
General Ray Odierno, the top US commander in Iraq, who had previously expressed doubts about Iraq's cities, particularly Mosul, told a press conference last week that, "the dark days of previous years are behind us...It is a fitting time that our combat forces move out."
However, today in Mosul, which is considered by some to be the last hold-out of the Sunni group al-Qaeda in Iraq, seven civilians were killed when a man hit a US patrol with a grenade, an Iraqi soldier wounded by a car bomb and an off-duty policeman killed in a drive-by shooting.

More from "International"

Other titles:
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
The United Arab Emirates acknowledged on Tuesday that two of its pilots were killed when their military aggression plane crashed over Jawf province, a military official said

The official added that the aggressive crashed plane was an apache that was
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Three citizens were killed and four others wounded in two Saudi air strikes hit Majza district of Saada province, an official said on Tuesday.

The strikes hit a citizen's car in al-Jamalah area in the district, the official added.
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Artillery of the army and popular shelled a gathering of Saudi-paid mercenaries in al-Moqadra area in Serwah district of Marib province, a military official said on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, dozens of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed and others injured in Wadi al-Theek in the district, the official added.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out on Monday unique military operations in Taiz province.

A military official said that a number of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed at the hands of the army and popular forces in al-Jazami Hill in al-Kadaha area in al-Ma'afer district.
Monday, 16-October-2017
A Saudi aggression fighter jet targeted a citizen's car driving in Fara area of Kutaf district in Saada province overnight, killing the driver and injuring his friend, a security official said on Monday.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army artillery and popular committees launched a fierce attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in Jawf province, a military official said on Monday.

The attack destroyed a military vehicle belonging to the mercenaries and killed all on board in Sabran area in khab and shaaf district.
Sunday, 15-October-2017
Scores of Saudi enemy soldiers were killed and injured on Sunday when the army and popular forces repelled a Saudi military attempt to sneak into Shurfah site in the border province of Najran, a military official said.

The operation was accomplished successfully against the Saudi
Sunday, 15-October-2017
The army and popular committees have killed a total of 18 Saudi-paid mercenaries in sniper operations over the past hours in the central province of Marib, a military official said on Sunday.

Ten mercenaries were killed in Nehm district and eight others were killed in Serwah district, said the official.
Saturday, 14-October-2017
Saudi aggression warplanes have launched more than 49 airstrikes over the past hours on several residential areas across Yemen, a security official said on Sunday.
The airstrikes targeted the areas of Malahiz and Husama in Dhahir district, and areas Thuban, Masahif and Sdad in Bakim district of northern Saada province.
Thursday, 12-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out an operation attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in al-Hawal area in Nehm district.

A local official said that the operation attack resulted in killing and injuring mercenaries, adding they also incurred heavy losses at their ranks

who we are     |    Advertising     |    contact us
All rights reserved © Almotamar Net, Developed by