Thursday, 26-May-2022 01:17
 
comments in
"News"
JMP rally offends military and security, provokes governorates
Shamlan is nothing but a puppet for the opposition parties to execute their PR agenda in this campai ...
No security incidents reported during election campaigns
you probably should not be too optimistic - too early to say
Sudanese official arrives in Sana'a
HI this intersting web sait and usefull .ihope to find alot of information about yemen beacause we ...
Sudanese official arrives in Sana'a
i like all yhe artical in this pAGE .SO I WANT TO THANK YOU
President Saleh returns home after 3-nation tour
Try to be honest to yourselves and don't steal articles which you didn't translate. Translator of t ...
News
Almotamar Net - The deadly drama involving smuggling boats in the Gulf of Aden is continuing, with at least 89 confirmed deaths and 154 missing and presumed dead so far this month. At the same time, UNHCR is strengthening its operations to deal with this ongoing crisis.

Friday, 28-September-2007
UNHCR - The deadly drama involving smuggling boats in the Gulf of Aden is continuing, with at least 89 confirmed deaths and 154 missing and presumed dead so far this month. At the same time, UNHCR is strengthening its operations to deal with this ongoing crisis.
Between 1-26 September, a total of 50 smuggling boats nearly two a day arrived on the Yemen shores from Somalia carrying 4,741 people mostly Somalis and Ethiopians. That's an increase of 70 percent over last year, when 30 boats arrived with 2,961 people during the whole of September 2006.
The last five boats arrived on Wednesday (26 Sept.), carrying 600 Somalis and Ethiopians. One person was confirmed dead, while 22 remain missing and are presumed dead. Four Ethiopians died in the hold of one of the boats due to asphyxiation, while 18 people were thrown overboard while still at sea, passengers said. Survivors told us that they had been violently treated by the smugglers, who beat them with iron bars, belts and plastic tubes and stabbed them with daggers. Two boats arrived on Sunday (23 Sept.) carrying 98 Somalis and 135 Ethiopians. Two Somalis died during the voyage in the hold of one of the boats as a result of asphyxiation. Two drowned while trying to reach shore from deep water.
Several new arrivals reported that Yemeni armed forces at Al Neshima had opened fire when they spotted the boats. The new arrivals also reported that the smugglers did fire back, although they had machine guns.
The Yemeni coastal forces reportedly separated the Somalis from the Ethiopians and searched all their belongings before UNHCR and partner teams arrived. All Ethiopians were kept by the military and handed over to the immigration authorities before being sent on to the immigration and naturalization authorities in Sana'a.
UNHCR in Yemen is discussing the shooting incidents with Yemeni authorities, who have expressed their concern that some smugglers arrive with weapons and drugs. UNHCR has highlighted its concern for the safety of innocent civilians on the boats. Later this month, UNHCR will provide training to Yemeni coast guards and immigration officials on refugee law, humanitarian law and rescue at sea. We have also asked for access to the detained Ethiopians, several of whom have expressed their wish to apply for asylum.
As the situation is deteriorating, UNHCR is planning to set up a second reception and registration centre in Ahwar along the Yemeni coast. It would also include a health centre run by Medecins sans Frontiers (MSF). We are also looking to expand monitoring presence along the coast, with more staff and vehicles from UNHCR and its partners. This would speed up the reception, immediate support and transfer of new arrivals to the registration centres. MSF has also set up three out of four planned health posts along the coast. UNHCR also intends to have two registration centers in Sana'a and Aden. We currently have 61 staff in Yemen and are planning to bring in additional reinforcements in the months to come.
So far this year, 13,897 people have arrived in Yemen after making the perilous voyage across the gulf, while at least 356 have died and 272 remain missing and are presumed dead.
28 Sep 2007
Source: UNHCR
More from "News"

Other titles:
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
The United Arab Emirates acknowledged on Tuesday that two of its pilots were killed when their military aggression plane crashed over Jawf province, a military official said

The official added that the aggressive crashed plane was an apache that was
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Three citizens were killed and four others wounded in two Saudi air strikes hit Majza district of Saada province, an official said on Tuesday.

The strikes hit a citizen's car in al-Jamalah area in the district, the official added.
Tuesday, 17-October-2017
Artillery of the army and popular shelled a gathering of Saudi-paid mercenaries in al-Moqadra area in Serwah district of Marib province, a military official said on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, dozens of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed and others injured in Wadi al-Theek in the district, the official added.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out on Monday unique military operations in Taiz province.

A military official said that a number of Saudi-paid mercenaries were killed at the hands of the army and popular forces in al-Jazami Hill in al-Kadaha area in al-Ma'afer district.
Monday, 16-October-2017
A Saudi aggression fighter jet targeted a citizen's car driving in Fara area of Kutaf district in Saada province overnight, killing the driver and injuring his friend, a security official said on Monday.
Monday, 16-October-2017
The army artillery and popular committees launched a fierce attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in Jawf province, a military official said on Monday.

The attack destroyed a military vehicle belonging to the mercenaries and killed all on board in Sabran area in khab and shaaf district.
Sunday, 15-October-2017
Scores of Saudi enemy soldiers were killed and injured on Sunday when the army and popular forces repelled a Saudi military attempt to sneak into Shurfah site in the border province of Najran, a military official said.

The operation was accomplished successfully against the Saudi
Sunday, 15-October-2017
The army and popular committees have killed a total of 18 Saudi-paid mercenaries in sniper operations over the past hours in the central province of Marib, a military official said on Sunday.

Ten mercenaries were killed in Nehm district and eight others were killed in Serwah district, said the official.
Saturday, 14-October-2017
Saudi aggression warplanes have launched more than 49 airstrikes over the past hours on several residential areas across Yemen, a security official said on Sunday.
The airstrikes targeted the areas of Malahiz and Husama in Dhahir district, and areas Thuban, Masahif and Sdad in Bakim district of northern Saada province.
Thursday, 12-October-2017
The army and popular forces carried out an operation attack on Saudi-paid mercenaries' sites in al-Hawal area in Nehm district.

A local official said that the operation attack resulted in killing and injuring mercenaries, adding they also incurred heavy losses at their ranks

who we are     |    Advertising     |    contact us
All rights reserved © Almotamar Net, Developed by